STRIKE? So I guess I won't work now...

|
I'm not a huge fan of SAG. Any labour union having 3% of it's members proudly working at any given time can't be successfull, can it? And yet, that's just where SAG falls.

It's no secret that being an actor is a financially ruinous choice falling somewhere between scooping coins from a fountain and living off of sweepstakes winnings. In fact I am loath to even call myself an "actor" - my saving grace being that I've done stand-up long enough I can confidently call myself a "comedian" - a financially ruinous choice falling somewhere between scooping leftover coins and crashing on the couches of sweepstakes winners.

And now SAG is striking. Yes, Hollywood is striking, again. As if this year couldn't have been any worse, it's time to go back to the picket lines and walk in solidarity with the other 97% of us who aren't doing shit.

And that's my big problem.

"The SAG, representing more than 120,000 actors in movies, television and other media, said in a statement that it will launch a "full-scale education campaign in support of a strike authorization."

They're NOT representing 120,000 actors in movies television and other media, they're representing about 2,000 actors in movies television and other media backed up by the other 198,000 who want to be them. Sure I borrowed money from my Dad to pay the rent this week, but man, I'm helping the dream to stay alive. For all of us.

And so allow me a little LA cynicism. I get the letters and the robocalls from famous people telling me which way to vote on SAG matters when the truth is that I have no direct relationship with what they're talking about. But take $200 from me every half-year? Sounds good - keep fighting that good fight while I type up another email to my Dad about why December is going to be different. Maybe if you had given a script about me before this I'd be inclined to care.